How to Use Needle Nose Pliers
Needle nose pliers are one of the most necessary and useful tools to have in a jewelers toolbox. Closely related to the chain nose pliers, needle nose pliers are constructed with a long, tempered jaw for working in tight spaces. Needle nose pliers are ideal for bending wire and working with small objects. It’s smooth inside jaws and are handy for securely handling your wire as you manipulate with a round nose pliers on the opposite side. Use these for attaching jewelry components and bending wire.
3 Uses for Needle Nose Pliers
1. Holding onto wire.
Tightly secure your wire with your needle nose pliers as you wire wrap with the other hand or turn your piece around to attach additional components.
2. Opening and closing chain and jump rings.
This can require an additional needle nose pliers or option of a chain nose pliers. Securely hold your chain or jump ring and twist to open or close.
3. Bending wire.
Perfect for securing eye pins, bending wire for forming shapes and wire wrapping, or just aiding in giving you more control as you are assembling your piece.
1. Align the open jaw of the needle nose pliers over the area you will like to grab.
2. Squeeze the handle down tightly until the pliers has secured itself.
3. With the other hand use the chain nose or round nose to open or manipulate the wire.
4. Secure your component and close.
5. Release your grip on the flat nose pliers to remove.
Check out this article on 8 Tips to Care for Jewelry Making Pliers.
Professional Quality 6″ Mini Needle Nose Pliers
Long Nose Pliers, 6-Inch
Needle Nose Pliers Extra Long 6″
Sea Striker P6 Needlenose Plier, Multicolor
6″ Mini Needle Nose Pliers with Comfort Grip Handles